Information on participation in the naturalization exams
Since 20/03/2021, the Ministry of the Interior has put into operation the application platform for participation in the exams to obtain the Greek citizenship through the naturalization process. Those who will pass those tests (with a 70% correct answer rate) will receive the Certificate of Knowledge Adequacy for Naturalization (ΠΕΓΠ). According to the new law (Law 4735/2020). The Certificate of Knowledge Adequacy for Naturalization (ΠΕΓΠ) replaces the oral interview procedure that has been in force until now. In other words, it is a necessary document, in order to complete the exams of the naturalization files but also a prerequisite for those who wish to submit an application from 01/04/2021 onwards. The first examination process will take place on 16/05/2021 and in order to take part, one must complete the online application. The application platform will close on 18/04/2021 at 23:59:59.
Following the text messages received by naturalization applicants from the Ministry of the Interior informing them about the Questions database and their participation in the exams, it is necessary to clarify the following:
- Participation in the first examination process is not compulsory and those who are interested may choose to take part in future exams. The exams for the Certificate of Knowledge Adequacy for Naturalization will be carried out twice a year, in May and November of each year.
- The ongoing application on the online platform concerns only the participation in the examination process of 16/05/2021
- Those who have an active application for naturalization (file number in the Citizenship Department of the Ministry of the Interior) the first time they take the exam are exempt from the participation fee, which means they will not pay the 150 euros required to participate. If they do not succeed in the exams, in future applications they will pay 150 euros each time they participate, as is the case for those who have not yet applied for naturalization.
- People with disabilities, people with learning difficulties and those over 62 years old will take the exam orally.
- Those who have successfully attended the three classes of the Gymnasium (Γυμνάσιο) or Lyceum (Λύκειο), or who hold a degree/graduate/doctoral or higher education, are excluded from the examination process for the Certificate of Knowledge Adequacy for Naturalization. For this reason, they must contact the competent Directorate of Citizenship, to which they have submitted or are about to file an application for naturalization, in order to send the necessary documents of evidence.