Certificate of Knowledge Adequacy for Naturalization (PEGP): Next examination in March – Applications are now open
From Monday 09/01/2023 until Friday 10/02/2023 (23:59:59), those who wish to take the exam for the acquisition of Greek citizenship can apply on the platform of the Ministry of Interior. The application concerns exclusively the examination which will take place on Sunday, March 19, 2023.
*Attention: These exams will take place in March, instead of May that are scheduled each year.
We remind that PEGP replaces the oral interview procedure that was in force until 31/03/2021. In other words, it is a necessary document in order to complete the examination of the pending naturalization applications and a required supporting document for those who will submit a new naturalization application. The minimum score for success in the PEGP exams is 70% of the total number of answers.
Useful to know:
- Some questions of the Item Bank have changed. Those interested can find on the website of the General Secretariat of Citizenship the updated questions as well as their answers for the upcoming exams in March 2023.
- The exam costs 150 euros and the payment must be completed at least 2 days before the submission of the application.Those who have an active application for naturalization (file number in the Citizenship Department of the Ministry of Interior) the first time they take exams are exempt from the participation fee, i.e. they will NOT pay the 150 euros required to participate. If they do not succeed in the exams, in future applications they will pay 150 euros each time they participate, as is the case for those who have not yet applied for naturalization.
- People with physical disabilities, people with learning difficulties and people over 62 will take the exams orally and can choose an examination center only in Athens and Thessaloniki. People with disabilities will be examined in reduced topics which they can find in the Item Bank that has been uploaded on the website of the General Secretariat for Citizenship
- They are not required to take exams for PEGP:
1) For new applications:
a) Those who have completed 9 classes of primary and secondary
b) Those who have completed 6 classes Gimnasio(Γυμνάσιο) and Likio
c) Those who have a bachelor’s or master’s degree or doctorate from a Greek
2) For applications before 17/04/2021:
a) Those who have successfully attended a Gimnasio (Γυμνάσιο) or Likio
(Λύκειο) in the country or
b) Those who have obtained a bachelor’s or master ‘s or doctorate from a Greek
university or TEI or
c) Those who have successfully attended in “second chance” school
For this reason, they must contact the competent Directorate of Citizenship, to which they have submitted or are about to file an application for naturalization, in order to send the necessary documents of evidence.
To find out more about the rest steps of the new naturalization system (evidence of economic and social inclusion – minimum adequate income), you can read our text “New naturalization process: What is it about?”