Acquisition of Greek Citizenship through Naturalization by Recognized Refugees

Acquisition of Greek Citizenship through Naturalization by Recognized Refugees


Third-country nationals who have been recognized as refugees and to whom the competent authorities of the Ministry of Citizen Protection have granted one of the following titles:

  • Fugitive Identity Card (Yellow)
  • Residence permit (white color) of five years validity
  • Residence permit for family members of a recognized refugee

Documents (9)

  1. Exact copy of the naturalization statement. This declaration is submitted to the City of the permanent residence of the person who wishes to be naturalized and signed before the Mayor or an authorized deputy mayor or official, with the presence of two Greek citizens as witnesses
  2. Application for naturalization, which is addressed to the Minister of the Interior and submitted to the relevant department of the Decentralized Administration, to which the applicant’s permanent residence belongs. This application is completed (in Greek characters) in all its fields and is signed by the applicant
  3. A recent colored photo
  4. Exact copy of a travel document or other proof of identity
  5. An exact copy of a certificate issued by a recognized civilian refugee
  6. Birth certificate of the applicant or other equivalent certificate provided according to the legislation of the country of first nationality, officially certified and translated. If born in Greece, the birth certificate is sufficient. In case the recognized refugee cannot provide such a certificate ,the decision of the Minister of Citizen Protection recognizing him / her as a refugee is sufficient

If it is possible to find the birth certificate:

  • The birth certificate must have an Apostille stamp if issued in one of the countries participating in the Hague Convention. If it is issued in a country that is not a party to the Convention, or is not recognized in Greece (eg Albania, Kosovo etc.),the original document must be certified by the Greek consulate in that country
  • Birth certificates must be translated only by: the translation service of the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the relevant Greek consular authority of the issuing country, or a Greek lawyer, or a graduate translator of the Foreign Languages, Translation and Interpretation of the Ionian University and not by translation agencies

7. An exact copy of tax clearance or a copy of the income declaration of the last financial year
8. Social Security Registry Number (ΑMΚΑ)
9. Fee (e-paravolo), in the form of a receipt type A duplicate. The fee costs EUR 100 for each application (either the original application for naturalization or the next application submitted in case the first one is rejected). For the fee the applicant shall visit a KEΠ (Citizens’ Service Center).

If you wish to print the documents needed, download the PDF file here.